Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Artist of the Day: The Tallest Man On Earth




Okay so here's someone I want to talk about today. His name is Kristian Matsson, or aka The Tallest Man on Earth.  He is an indie-folk singer-songwriter from Sweden, (because we all know not much real music comes out of America anymore) and is COMPLETELY underrated in my book. If were judging true music on being creative, and different, and unique, and innovative, with actual writing skills, and guitar playing abilities.... this guy is pure genius. Hmm...how could I describe him.... Like if heaven and hell had a baby they would give birth to The Tallest Man on Earth. With a definite Bob Dylan influence, his voice sounds like his throat has been tortured with gravel and whiskey, and I mean that in a damn good way.

Look at this guy. Badass in every way possible.
And yes this picture is recent. Revives my faith in good music.
Adding to his creative composure, I like how he didn't just call himself Kristian Matsson. He very well could have, being just a solo acoustic songwriter without a band and all. What do you think is the underlying meaning behind "The Tallest Man on Earth" though? He certainly isn't very tall. The guy writes with an enormous amount of symbology to paint his masterpieces and puzzles of words and meanings.  So even though you don't always know what he's talking about, his lyrics are open for the world of interpretation, usually creating a wild ride in the listener's mind and into the pastures of the soul. 



This is the first song that really got me hooked on this guy. It's called "The Gardener". Just listen to it. Listen to the voice. Listen to the guitar rhythm. LISTEN TO THE LYRICS. This song is about death, and killing people. Basically, my interpretation of the song is this: Dude meets a girl he really likes, but there are people out there from his past who can tell the girl that he's not who he claims he is.  He kills these intruders, and buries them in his garden, to remain the tallest man in his girl's eyes. So basically it's a love song. About killing people. And he uses his stage name as a theme in his song. How genius is that. Here's a snippet of the lyrics from the last three parts of the song.

"I know the leak is going to tell you
There ain't no puppy on your leash
So now he'll fertilize the roses 
So I can stay the king you see
In your eyes babe
In your eyes babe

So now we're dancin' through the garden
And what a garden I have made
and now that death will grow my jasmine
I find it soothing I'm afraid
Now there is no need for suspicion 
There ain't no frog kissin' your hand

I wont be lying when I tell you
That I'm a gardener I'm a man
In your eyes babe."


Awww. I never thought killing people could be so heartfelt and sappy. Impresses your local prison inmates and your coffee bean cuties at the same time. 

As a musician myself, I have the utmost respect for this guy right now. He could be my favorite artist at the moment. Definitely keeps it real. Check him out, he has three full length albums out now, and two EPs. Not to mention some killer live shows on Youtube. Support real music, it is a dying breed in this day and age. 














No comments:

Post a Comment